Skip to content

Planned Legacy Giving

Naming Us in Your Assets

Not everyone wants to commit to making a gift in their will or estate plan. Some people prefer the increased flexibility that a beneficiary designation provides.

It is very simple to name UCAR as a beneficiary. Start by requesting a change-of-beneficiary form from your policy administrator or download the form from your provider’s website. Make your desired changes and return the form to establish your gift. FreeWill also provides services to help you coordinate your beneficiary designation, which you can access at FreeWill.

Retirement Plan

You can name UCAR as a beneficiary of your IRA, 401(k), or another retirement plan while reserving more favorably taxed assets for your heirs.

Life Insurance
By naming UCAR as a beneficiary, you can turn a life insurance policy into a significant contribution. Estate tax benefits may apply.

Donor-Advised Funds
If you have a donor-advised fund, you may be able to name UCAR as a beneficiary to receive a percentage of the remaining fund balance after your lifetime.

Next Steps

1. Talk to us
We would welcome a conversation with you about how your estate plans can benefit UCAR as well as your family. Please contact Sarah Swanson at 303-497-1953 or

2. Use our legal name
If you include UCAR in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal name: University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
Address: 3090 Center Green Dr, Boulder, CO 80301
Federal tax ID number: 84-041-2668

3. Keep us informed!
If you have already named UCAR as a beneficiary, please let us know so we can ensure that your gift is used according to your wishes. We would also like to welcome you to the Friends Legacy Circle, recognizing planned legacy donors. Information you share will be kept confidential and we respect any desire to remain anonymous.

Thank You!

Please note that Friends of the National Center/UCAR cannot provide legal, tax, or financial advice. We recommend you contact your attorneys or other professional advisors when considering changes to your estate plan.